The loss of a loved one is difficult under any circumstance. When that death could have been prevented, though, and is the result of the recklessness or negligence of another party, coming to terms with it can be even more painful. While nothing can bring your loved one back, or ease the emotional pain, seeking compensation for a wrongful death can provide your family with financial security to move on in your lives.
What Constitutes Wrongful Death
A wrongful death may come about as the result of an accident, or due to professional or company negligence. Potential causes of wrongful death include:
- Defective products that fail to operate as intended
- Auto accidents due to defective car parts
- Trucking accidents caused by negligent driving or drivers ignoring trucking regulations
- Medical malpractice, including errors made during surgery, the misdiagnosis of a patient, mistakes in anesthesia, or premature discharge
Seeking Compensation for a Wrongful Death
Along with the emotional burden of a loved one’s death, if your loved one brought income into your household, his or her death can put a financial burden upon your family as well. Getting compensation from the party responsible for your loved one’s death can help ease the financial impact of your loss. Wrongful death compensation may include any or all of the following:
- Medical and funeral expenses
- Compensation to cover the deceased’s earnings from the time of death until retirement, including raises and money that would have gone into savings
- Compensation to cover lost retirement benefits
- Compensation to cover expenses for services provided by the deceased, such as childcare or elder care
- Compensation for loss of companionship
Wrongful Death Attorney in Metro Atlanta
When you lose someone you love due to the carelessness or negligence of someone else, there is no compensation enough for the emotional upheaval. Getting the money you need to pay the medical and funeral expenses incurred due to the death, and to ensure your current and financial needs are met, though, is an important step in limiting the financial impact your loved one’s death has on your life.
Matthew Tully is a wrongful death attorney based out of Atlanta who has helped numerous individuals in the metro area seek compensation for the wrongful death of a loved one. If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s mistake or recklessness, Mr. Tully can help you get the money you need for your current and future financial wellbeing.